Some Basic Signs that Your Water Is Contaminated!
July 04, 2016
Here are some basic signs which point out to water contamination. We however strongly recommend that you get your water tested as some of the signs may go unnoticed and might cause problems in the long run.
1. Recurrent Gastro-Intestinal illness - Coliform bacteria
2. Salty taste and seawater, or a heavily salted roadway nearby - Chloride, TDS, sodium
3. Dump, junkyard, landfill, factory or dry-cleaning operation nearby - VOC, Total disolved solids (TDS), pH, sulfate, chloride, metals
4. Odor of gasoline or fuel oil, and near gas station or buried fuel tanks - Volatile organic compounds (VOC)
5. Rapid wear of water treatment equipment - pH, corrosion
6. Corrosion of pipes, plumbing - Corrosion, pH, lead
7. Water appears cloudy, frothy or colored - Color, detergents
8. Objectionable taste or smell - Hydrogen sulfide, corrosion, metals
9. Stained plumbing fixtures, laundry - iron, copper, manganese
10. Water softener needed to treat hardness - Manganese, iron
11. Scaly residues, soaps don’t lather - Hardness
12. Suspicion of duplication of packaged drinking water